The Hugo Awards were presented at this year’s Worldcon in London on August 17, 2014. As a supporting member of Loncon3, I was eligible to receive a copy of most of the nominated works. Thanks to my spring/summer reading slump, I didn’t get around to reading any of the packet until last month.
I also read the September issue of Clarkesworld Magazine. Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to much short fiction reading at all after that. Hopefully, October will see me getting through more of my To Read stacks.
Hugo Nominees: Short Stories
- The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere by John Chu [Winner] (9/1/14)
- Selkie Stories Are for Losers by Sofia Samatar (9/1/14)
- If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love by Rachel Swirsky (9/1/14)
- The Ink Readers of Doi Saket by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (9/1/14)
Hugo Nominees: Novelettes
- The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal [Winner] (9/14/13)
- The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling by Ted Chiang (9/1/14)
- The Waiting Stars by Aliette de Bodard (9/1/14)
- The Exchange Officers by Brad Torgersen (9/1/14)
- Weather by Susan Palwick (9/2/14)
- Patterns of a Murmuration, in Billions of Data Points by JY Yang (9/2/14)
- Spring Festival: Happiness, Anger, Love, Sorrow, Joy by Xia Jia (9/2/14)
- Falling Star by Brendan DuBois (9/2/14)
- Her Furry Face by Leigh Kennedy (9/2/14)
- Giants by Peter Watts (9/2/14)
That’s it for now. Now to settle in with a nice Pumpkin Spice… Something. It’s that time of year, after all!