2014 marks the fifth year I’ve logged my reading on this site. In 2010, I didn’t decide to keep track until the year was almost over, so I did the best I could to reconstruct what I read that year. For 2011 I began to organize my reading list, not only keeping track of what I finished, but also what I was currently reading. It was also when I began participating in Goodread.com‘s annual Reading Challenge. I tweaked my reading list slightly in 2012, substituting a numbered list for bullet points. And last year I decided to add the fiction magazines I’ve read to the list.
So what changes will 2014 bring? I like the current format of the list; the only change to that is a short fiction counter near the bottom that will update the number of stories I read as I update this list. I also plan to work on the consistency of my reading in the new year, as there were several large gaps in 2013 where I read nothing. I’d also like to broaden the scope of my reading in 2014, including more non-fiction and non-genre titles.
I will continue to log my reading both here and on Goodreads, as well as participating in the 2014 Goodreads Reading Challenge. With that in mind, I am setting my reading goal for 2014 at 52 books. In addition, I’d also like to read at least 200 short stories this year.
May you all have a Happy and Well Read New Year!
[UPDATE] I didn’t read very much this year. In fact, I missed both of my reading goals; I read 26 of the 52 book goal I set and 126 of my 200 short fiction goal. I’m fine with missing those goals, however, since I was spending plenty of time with my new granddaughter this year. In light of this year’s developments, I’ll be making some changes to my reading goals for 2015, which I’ll be posting shortly.
Currently Reading: No more books to read this year!
- The Space Merchants, Frederik Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth (DTB) (1/2/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 88, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (1/3/14)
- Way Station, Cifford D. Simak (DTB) (1/4/14)
- Jar Jar Binks Must Die…, Daniel M. Kimmel (EB) (1/6/14)
- Ten Little Indians, Agatha Christie (DTB) (1/8/14)
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman (EB) (1/24/14)
- A Brief History of Time, Stephen W. Hawking (DTB) (1/26/14)
- The Best of Harry Harrison, Harry Harrison (DTB) (2/1/14)
- The Apocalypse Codex, Charles Stross (EB) (2/6/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 89, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (2/7/14)
- More Than Human, Theodore Sturgeon (DTB) (2/9/14)
- The Cormorant, Chuck Wendig (EB) (4/19/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 90, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (4/24/14)
- Red Planet Blues, Robert J. Sawyer (EB) (8/8/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 91, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (8/11/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 92, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (8/13/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 93, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (8/19/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 94, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (8/22/14)
- The Last Unicorn, Peter S. Beagle (EB) (8/30/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 95, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (8/31/14)
- Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 96, Neil Clarke (Editor) (EB) (9/2/14)
- The Chaplain’s Legacy, Brad Torgersen (EB) (HN) (9/3/14)
- Wakulla Springs, Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages (EB) (HN) (9/5/14)
- Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden’s Syndrome, John Scalzi (EB) (9/15/14)
- Equiod, Charles Stross (EB) (HN) (9/17/14)
- Lock In, John Scalzi (DTB) (9/22/14)
Short Fiction Read in 2014: 126 stories (Updated 9/2/14)
(DTB) = Dead Tree Book (a physical book)
(EB) = eBook
(RR) = Reread, I book that I enjoyed so much that I read it again.
(HN) = Nominated for 2014 Hugo Award (* = Won)