May is over, the weather is getting
nicer warmer hotter, and I was able to pick up the pace of my short fiction reading just a bit. Of course I read the latest issue of Clarkesworld, but the bigger addition to my reading pile in May was the release of this year’s Hugo Voting Packet. Containing just about all of the Hugo-nominated works from 2012, it is distributed electronically to everyone who is eligible to vote for the Hugo Awards.
- Soulcatcher by James Patrick Kelly (5/5/13)
- Tachy Psyche by Andy Dudak (5/5/13)
- (R + D) /I = M by E. Catherine Tobler (5/5/13)
- The Banquet of the Lords of Night by Liz Williams (5/6/13)
- From Babel’s Fall’n Glory We Fled … by Michael Swanwick (5/6/13)
In April I read two of the three Hugo-nominated short stories. In May I finished the remaining short story and the entire novelette category. All of the nominations can be found at the Lone Star Con 3 site.
- Mono no Aware by Ken Liu (5/21/13)
- The Boy Who Cast No Shadow by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (5/21/13)
- Fade To White by Catherynne M. Valente (5/21/13)
- The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi by Pat Cadigan (5/22/13)
- In Sea-Salt Tears by Seanan McGuire (5/24/13)
- Rat-Catcher by Seanan McGuire (5/27/13)
- Forever by Robert J. Sawyer (5/15/13)
And that wraps up my May reads. In June and July I’ll be concentrating on finishing up my Hugo Voter’s Packet which just happens to include two anthologies in the Best Editor Short Form category. It looks as though I’ll have plenty of short stories to wade through as summer gets into full swing. Keep reading!